Friday 29 March 2013

Kansas & Missouri

St. Louis
After all the beautiful lakes of Oregon, the breathtaking views of the Grand Canyon and the stunning national parks of Utah and Colorado, we are ready for a taste of the real American towns.

We are planning to go to St Louis through Kansas. When researching about where to stop in Kansas I came across a very funny story about this town called Topeka.
Topeka
Google homepage 01.04.2010
Apparently, on March 1, 2010, Topeka Mayor Bill Bunten issued a proclamation calling for Topeka to be known for the month of March as "Google, Kansas, the capital city of fiber optics." The name change came from Ryan Gigous, who wanted to "re-brand" the city with a simple gesture. This was to help "support continuing efforts to bring Google's fiber experiment" to Topeka. Google jokingly announced that it would change its name to Topeka to "honor that moving gesture" on April 1, 2010 (April Fools Day) and changed its home page to say Topeka.
Kansas City
We go from Kansas State to Kansas City in Missouri. Kansas City is famous for good Jazz and Barbecue, hopefully in this order. Charlie Parker was the hometown hero and I was told that you can still listen to good live jazz in many venues across the city.
Jefferson City skyline
Jefferson City is the capital of Missouri. I got this description of the city from their official website. " Explore Missouri history in the magnificent Missouri State Capitol, go on one of the many prison tours at the Missouri State Penitentiary and stroll through the quaint downtown with its specialty shops and restaurants. Spend some time at the wineries, parks and museums that make Jefferson City a great experience". Sounds good to me!
Busch Stadium - Home of the Cardinals
St Louis is renowned for its Beer, Music and Baseball. Beer and music are two of my favourite things. Can't say the same about baseball though as I haven't been to a game yet but there's no better place to start than in Missouri - the hometown of the St. Louis Cardinals.
Botanical Gardens
If after all the beer, barbecue, baseball and excellent music we get weary, I'm sure we can chill out at the Botanical Gardens before heading to Illinois.

I have been asked to remove some of the photos listed in this entry before. I have done so and would like to apologise to the photographers whose photos I used inappropriately. I would give credit to their work if I'd known who they were. As I said in older posts none of the photos here are mine as I haven't started my trip yet.

Note to self:
Diners: Cookin' From Scratch www.cookinfromscratch.biz 

If tracing the path of Route 66 look for the El Camino

No comments:

Post a Comment